Naval Submarine Base New London, as the primary submarine base in the Eastern U.S., is one of the country’s most vital defense installations. It is officially known as the submarine capital of the world. NSB New London served the Navy since 1868, first as a coal refueling station and then, in 1915, as a submarine base. The base continued to grow in size and importance through two world wars. It is now homeport to 15 attack submarines and is a major Navy training facility.
Naval Submarine Base New London Housing
- Temporary Lodging Facility: Navy Lodge New London and Navy Gateway Inns and Suites
- Dormitory Housing for Students and Unaccompanied Personnel: The base has 8 buildings, 997 rooms, and 1,892 beds in dormitory housing for permanent party and temporary personnel.
- Family Housing: Both single-family and townhomes are available through NSB New London Homes, a privatized venture through Balfour Beatty Communities.
Naval Submarine Base New London Facilities
- Medical Care: The NSB New London Naval Medical Clinic provides outpatient care and inpatient care provided through TRICARE at civilian hospitals for Naval Submarine Base New London active duty and retirees and their families.
- Shopping Services: New London (Groton) Commissary and NSB New London NEX exchange
- Naval Submarine Base New London Fleet Readiness: The Morale, Welfare and Recreation offices provide recreation, fitness and special programs for area military families.
- MWR Child and Youth Programs include:
- The Child Development Center provides day care for dependent children from six weeks through 5 years.
- School-age care for dependent children from 5 through 12 years for before-and-after school, vacation and administrative days. Drop-in care is available.
- The Youth Center has recreation programs for dependent children from 9 through 18 years.
- Dependent Schools: There are no DoD schools at NSB New London. Due to the proximity of the base to Rhode Island, dependents attend civilian schools in districts around New London in both Connecticut and Rhode Island.
Places to Visit
- Mystic Seaport, a short 15-minute trip away, is home to the world’s largest maritime museum, The Museum of America and the Sea and the Mystic Aquarium.
- Gungywamp is a nearby archeological site on private property that features artifacts from as long ago as 2000 BC, a stone circle, structures of both Native and Colonial America. One stone chamber has within it an astronomical alignment of the equinoxes. Tours are available.
- The Submarine Force Museum and Library is right on the NSB New London Base. It is a fascinating history of the submarine and their sailors.
Fun Facts About Groton, Connecticut
Located midway between New York City and Boston, Groton, in New London County, is a relatively small town with a population of only 40,000, but it has a wealth of cultural and sporting activities, particularly those involving the water. Its location in the Northeast Corridor means that many of the nation’s most exciting cities are within easy driving distance.
- Connecticut is called the Nutmeg State not because they are grown there, but because the citizens are so sharp that they could successfully sell wooden nutmeg as the real thing.
- NSB New Groton launched the country’s first nuclear submarine, the USS Nautilus, in 1954.
- A pickle cannot legally be considered a pickle unless, according to state law, it can bounce.
- If you are visiting New Hartford, refrain from crossing streets while walking on your hands. It is illegal.
Military Spouse Employment
The unemployment rate in the Groton area is about 7.00 percent, just a little more than the country’s average of 6.35 percent. More than 15 percent of the employees in the area work in the fields of engineering, computers and science. This figure is more than triple the nation’s average. To take advantage of these kinds of opportunities, advanced training is crucial.
Military spouses now have a chance to take advantage of the MyCAA program, a two-year scholarship program that will help them prepare for a job market that demands specialized education. Review our fields of study, then fill out the contact form or call us at (800) 354-1254. One of our Education Advocates, military spouses who understand your situation, will then contact you and guide you through each step. MilitarySpouseProgram.com is a resource of Brighton College.